Suggestions based on new UX (beta 2)

Feb 5, 2012 at 2:01 PM

Hi.

After using beta 2 with the new user interface I have a couple of suggestions:

• I want to be able to see and expand all categories in the left hand column. Viewing all items or just one category at a time is not good enough.
  • I don't want to select an item in order to star it or open it in a browser, I should be able to do this in the left hand column.
  • I want to be able to jump to the next/previous item without using the keyboard, the arrows from beta 1 worked great.
  • The new design also wastes a lot of space; the list items don't need to have so much space between them and the entire left column can be moved to the left by quite a lot.
  • When logging in it might seem like a neat trick to hijack my desktop but I use a password application for all my passwords and since Mishra Reader was obscuring everything I had to quit Mishra Reader in order to be able to use my password app in order to grab my password. Don't do this.

Otherwise it's a great improvement, especially in speed.

Looking forward to the next version!

Feb 6, 2012 at 12:41 AM

I want to be able to see and expand all categories in the left hand column. Viewing all items or just one category at a time is not good enough.

I have to agree with this -- taking out the ability to view one feed at a time takes away any incentive to use Mishra.  After all, if I have to go back to Google Reader to read one feed at a time, why do I need a third-party app?

Thanks!

Feb 6, 2012 at 1:25 PM
Edited Feb 6, 2012 at 2:04 PM

Great work guys!

Have to agree with MartinNr5 on the first item.  Would rather have the categories group in the listing than me selecting each group individually from the drop down.  Seems less productive.

Like the design below, granted it is a proposed layout but its very nice.

From this post, http://blog.maneu.net/2011/09/mishrareader-the-ux-proposal-1/

Also when running the application for the first time, it asks for credentials.  Somewhere it should say for your google reader account information.  At first I thought Mishra Reader had it's own set of credentials.

When I'm in the Unread section with nothing in the pane (all items read) when new items appear I have to click on the banner at the top, by my account name in order for the list to refresh with the new items.  Any way to just automatically refresh the Unread section when new items appear?  This even happens when I have the application minimized and then restore it.  Plus the icon no longer shows that there are new items and haven't seen the balloon that there are new items like the prior version did.

UPDATE:  I had 8 new items but the banner at the top only said 1 new item.

Feb 6, 2012 at 4:11 PM

Here are some more observations:

• I shouldn't have to click on the "Mark as read" icon and then click a button in order to actually mark items as read.
  • Below the little square dot in front of every object that toggles read/unread there's room for the "open in browser" and "star" icons
  • Overall, despite being a lot snappier and more fluid, this version feels slower and more cumbersome to use than the previous version.

@primortal: I think the devs would appreciate actual bug submissions through the bug tracker. Come to think of it, perhaps they'd prefer these suggestions for improvement that way as well.

Oh well, I'm sure they'll let us know if that's the case. :)

Feb 6, 2012 at 5:07 PM
MartinNr5 wrote:

@primortal: I think the devs would appreciate actual bug submissions through the bug tracker. Come to think of it, perhaps they'd prefer these suggestions for improvement that way as well.

Valid point MartinNr5, creating some bug submissions.

Feb 8, 2012 at 5:08 PM

After using this version some more I think that an acceptable compromise could be to keep the current drop down list with categories but also to implement the design seen in the screenshot primortal posted above.

If you have a few feeds it'll be possible to manage them within the "Show all categories" selection if they come grouped by feed source. If you have a lot of feeds then it makes sense to be able to select a category and then have the items grouped by feed source.

As it is now I'm hesitant even using Mishra Reader. :(

Feb 8, 2012 at 6:51 PM

The UI is nice but the loss of functionality with B2 is also causing concerns for me.  Like managing feeds, the notification of new items, etc.

Coordinator
Feb 8, 2012 at 7:37 PM

Don't be worried guys! We are totally aware of these concerns and be assured that the next beta will address them:)

The main goal of the beta 2 was to introduce the new UI

Now we will focus on missing features.

Feb 20, 2012 at 11:53 AM
Edited Feb 20, 2012 at 11:55 AM

Hello Deltakosh

When theses missing features will be out ? :) I need them too ! I currently uninstalling mishra v2 to come back to v1 because more useful ... :(

Edit -> in fact I cannot find the old version (no more installer) ... so disapointed ! :(

Feb 21, 2012 at 4:35 PM

Hello,

• That will be great if i could share to Twitter a news without to write anything. I push tweet button and thte title of the news will be share to Twitter.

Thanks,

Mar 4, 2012 at 10:51 AM

Bit late joiing the discussion here ass only found and installed Mishra Reader today.

Initial observations are that it would be nice to have both light and drk themes as provided in the Windows Phone interface as I always tend towards the dark themes. Personal preference I accept.

Secondly I assume the reason that a numbe of sharing options and all of the bookmarking options are greyed out is that these are future functionalities to be added in future beta releases as mentioned by Deltakosh above.

I also agree with the UI preference of primortal above with the both tag and feed names in the right hand side feed list ala nGen Reader on WIndows Phone 7.5. I like to see my feeds categorised by tag and sub-categorised by feed name both in all and unread views.