Beta 4 Crashes after adding Facebook and Twitter accounts

Sep 9, 2012 at 5:15 AM
Edited Sep 9, 2012 at 5:18 AM

I can add the social services, but when I click Save Changes, Mishra Reader crashes immediately.  I have removed the app completely, and deleted C:\users\username\AppData\Roaming\Mishrareader directory.  I am using Windows 8 Enterprise RTM.

Here are the contents of the log file in C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Mishrareader\Logs:

2012-09-08 22:12:50.2318|INFO|MishraReader.App|MishraReader 1.0.4.0 Startup
2012-09-08 22:13:01.6306|ERROR|MishraReader.ViewModels.SignInViewModel|Connect
2012-09-08 22:13:01.7596|DEBUG|MishraReader.Entities.GoogleReaderConnector|GetSubscriptionsList ...
2012-09-08 22:13:01.9216|DEBUG|MishraReader.Entities.GoogleReaderConnector|GetSubscriptionsList ... response
2012-09-08 22:13:01.9396|DEBUG|MishraReader.Entities.GoogleReaderConnector|GetSubscriptionsList ... deserialized
2012-09-08 22:13:02.1913|DEBUG|MishraReader.Entities.GoogleReaderConnector|GetSubscriptionsList ... loaded
2012-09-08 22:13:19.0698|FATAL|MishraReader.App|Unhandled Dispatcher Exception
2012-09-08 22:13:19.0698|FATAL|MishraReader.App|Unhandled AppDomain Exception
2012-09-08 22:15:26.6780|INFO|MishraReader.App|MishraReader 1.0.4.0 Startup

Mishra will no longer start.  The app appears to launch, but the UI is never presented.  I look in Process Monitor and can see it listed.

Coordinator
Sep 9, 2012 at 1:36 PM

Can you please try again with the following special download:

http://mishrareader.codeplex.com/downloads/get/484006

Extract that, then Double-click the run.bat. It'll generate a file called Mishra.iTrace. Please zip that up and let me know where I can download it from (dropbox/skydrive/etc) as the file will be big.

Thanks!

Sep 9, 2012 at 4:36 PM

I waited about 15 minutes for the command to complete, but forcibly closed mishrareader.exe.  You can get the itrace here:  http://sdrv.ms/SvkIXI

Coordinator
Sep 9, 2012 at 4:56 PM

Hi Chris,

Unfortunately, that trace didn't contain any useful data; I'm not sure why.

Based on the logs, this issue is different than the "not showing up" that a few people are getting as you have an exception in the log. The logging config wasn't quite right though as it didn't output the full info.

Can you please try the version here with the modified config file:

http://sdrv.ms/RMh74T. No installer, just unzip and run (might need to unblock the internet zone stuff from the zip file). The log file should hopefully contain the root cause.

The twitter/facebook stuff should be working.

Afterwards, if you clear out the contents of %appdata%\MishraReader, you should be able to at least get started again as that'll remove any saved share accounts.

Sep 10, 2012 at 9:14 PM

So, I captured the crash of Beta 4, and that was all I was able to capture.  The URL above has not changed, so you can grab that itrace.

Coordinator
Sep 12, 2012 at 12:39 PM

I've hooked up exception handling earlier in the startup process and outputting more information; if you can try beta 4.1 and let me know if there's anything in the logs....

Thanks for your patience; I'm trying hard to find out the cause, but I'm unable to repro it and am not sure what's going on.

Thanks again,
Oren

Sep 13, 2012 at 2:42 PM

So, the issue is with the Facebook service.  If I enable Twitter, then Save Chances, it doesn't crash.  If I then go back into Settings, and enable Facebook, it crashes.  Here's the log file:

2012-09-13 07:38:15.3837|INFO|MishraReader.App|MishraReader 1.0.4.5 Startup|
2012-09-13 07:38:16.5977|DEBUG|MishraReader.Entities.GoogleReaderConnector|GetSubscriptionsList ...|
2012-09-13 07:38:16.9038|DEBUG|MishraReader.Entities.GoogleReaderConnector|GetSubscriptionsList ... response|
2012-09-13 07:38:16.9478|DEBUG|MishraReader.Entities.GoogleReaderConnector|GetSubscriptionsList ... deserialized|
2012-09-13 07:38:17.6261|DEBUG|MishraReader.Entities.GoogleReaderConnector|GetSubscriptionsList ... loaded|
2012-09-13 07:39:41.8995|FATAL|MishraReader.App|Unhandled Dispatcher Exception|System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at System.IO.StreamWriter.d__12.MoveNext()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ValidateEnd(Task task)
   at MishraReader.OptionsManager.d__1a.MoveNext() in c:\Users\Public\Downloads\MishraReader\mishrareader\Main\MishraReader.ViewModels\AppServices\OptionsManager.cs:line 269
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
   at MishraReader.ViewModels.Settings.SettingsViewModel.d__4.MoveNext() in c:\Users\Public\Downloads\MishraReader\mishrareader\Main\MishraReader.ViewModels\Settings\SettingsViewModel.cs:line 299
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.AsyncMethodBuilderCore.b__0(Object state)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
   at MS.Internal.Threading.ExceptionFilterHelper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate method, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)
   at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeImpl()
   at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeInSecurityContext(Object state)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
   at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.Invoke()
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.ProcessQueue()
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.WndProcHook(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
   at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
   at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(Object o)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
   at MS.Internal.Threading.ExceptionFilterHelper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate method, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.LegacyInvokeImpl(DispatcherPriority priority, TimeSpan timeout, Delegate method, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
   at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam)
   at MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessage(MSG& msg)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrameImpl(DispatcherFrame frame)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrame(DispatcherFrame frame)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.Run()
   at System.Windows.Application.RunDispatcher(Object ignore)
   at System.Windows.Application.RunInternal(Window window)
   at System.Windows.Application.Run(Window window)
   at MishraReader.App.Main() in :line 0
2012-09-13 07:39:41.8995|FATAL|MishraReader.App|Unhandled AppDomain Exception|System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at System.IO.StreamWriter.d__12.MoveNext()
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ValidateEnd(Task task)
   at MishraReader.OptionsManager.d__1a.MoveNext() in c:\Users\Public\Downloads\MishraReader\mishrareader\Main\MishraReader.ViewModels\AppServices\OptionsManager.cs:line 269
   at MishraReader.ViewModels.Settings.SettingsViewModel.d__4.MoveNext() in c:\Users\Public\Downloads\MishraReader\mishrareader\Main\MishraReader.ViewModels\Settings\SettingsViewModel.cs:line 299
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.AsyncMethodBuilderCore.b__0(Object state)
   at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeImpl()
   at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeInSecurityContext(Object state)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
   at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.Invoke()
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.ProcessQueue()
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.WndProcHook(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
   at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
   at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(Object o)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.LegacyInvokeImpl(DispatcherPriority priority, TimeSpan timeout, Delegate method, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
   at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam)
   at MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessage(MSG& msg)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrameImpl(DispatcherFrame frame)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrame(DispatcherFrame frame)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.Run()
   at System.Windows.Application.RunDispatcher(Object ignore)
   at System.Windows.Application.RunInternal(Window window)
   at System.Windows.Application.Run(Window window)
   at MishraReader.App.Main() in :line 0
2012-09-13 07:40:26.8744|INFO|MishraReader.App|MishraReader 1.0.4.5 Startup|

Coordinator
Sep 22, 2012 at 10:04 PM

This should be fixed now in beta 5. If you still see this, can you please let me know?

Sep 22, 2012 at 10:53 PM
Absolutely! I'll test it later this afternoon. BTW, are guys planning a Windows 8 Metro app?

Sent from my Windows Phone

Sent: 9/22/2012 3:04 PM
To: chris.lynch.hp@hotmail.com
Subject: Re: Beta 4 Crashes after adding Facebook and Twitter accounts [mishrareader:394882]

This should be fixed now in beta 5. If you still see this, can you please let me know?

Coordinator
Sep 23, 2012 at 3:12 AM

Hi Chris,

A Win8 Store app version is in the works; the goal is to share the lower-level code so that only the views are different.

Not sure on a time-frame yet, though we're always looking for help ;)

Regards,
Oren

Sep 24, 2012 at 4:16 AM
It’s fixed. I was able to successfully add both Twitter and Facebook services to Beta 5 without it crashing. Thanks for the quick turnaround!
I’d love to help, but I’m one you could classify as an amateur programmer. Certainly do not have a wealth of experience. I understand quite a bit about C#, but certainly not enough to be helpful IMO.
Sent from Windows Mail
Sent: ‎September‎ ‎22‎, ‎2012 ‎8‎:‎12‎ ‎PM
To: chris.lynch.hp@hotmail.com
Subject: Re: Beta 4 Crashes after adding Facebook and Twitter accounts [mishrareader:394882]

Hi Chris,

A Win8 Store app version is in the works; the goal is to share the lower-level code so that only the views are different.

Not sure on a time-frame yet, though we're always looking for help ;)

Regards,
Oren