Google Reader shutdown

Mar 14, 2013 at 2:47 AM
Edited Mar 14, 2013 at 2:47 AM
With the news of Google Reader being shut down as-of July 1, any plans on making Mishra a stand-alone RSS reader that tracks subscriptions on it's own (and caches feeds locally for offline reading)? Or will you be forced to abandon development? If the latter, I guess I'll have to go back to RSS Bandit this summer...
Mar 14, 2013 at 3:51 AM
I prefer the first solution.
Mar 14, 2013 at 10:29 AM
Apparently Feedly is set to go live with a clone of the Google Reader API, so client apps could switch to using Feedly as their back end with minimal changes.

http://blog.feedly.com/2013/03/14/google-reader/
Coordinator
Mar 17, 2013 at 1:27 PM
I'll certainly keep an eye on things and see what services are available and how stable they are in late-May/early-June and make changes accordingly. Clearly a compatible API is a plus.

One issue though is that Feedly doesn't have any website interface (sorry, but a Firefox plugin does not make a website). I'm curious to see what they come up with between now and June.

Another possibility is Newsblur. The downside is that there's a charge to have more than a certain number of feeds and the API is a bit different. That said, I don't think it'd be too hard to interface with their API. One benefit of Newsblur is that the code is open source on GitHub, so it's easy to see how it all works.
Apr 19, 2013 at 5:15 PM
Edited Apr 20, 2013 at 6:45 PM
Hello there !

I first have to say your app is the greatest I've ever tried so please don't shut it down ! Nice and clean interface, would be so poor to loose it :(

So in replacement of Google Reader API, I suggest you Fever, a self hosted rss aggregator with syncing feature, there is a well documented API to access remotly this service, find out the documentation here : http://www.feedafever.com/api

There is no public demo of this product, but I have built a test drive installation I will provide to you if are interessed in. It is provided with a full web interface to see the feeds and articles and their status, plus a html page built to show API query results live from a form. This way you will be able to see live the results given by each query.

Please let me know your feelling about this suggestion.

Thanks in advance.
May 9, 2013 at 11:29 AM
Edited May 9, 2013 at 11:30 AM
Hello again,

I first tried to look at your project, but I really lack C# skills, so I was unable to make any modification to code the support of the Fever API.

So as I really want you to consider Fever as one of the alternative services, not necessarily the only one, and also for the challenge to develop my own project, I made my own little Fever client under VB.NET using VS 2012 (express edition is enough). This way I hope you will be able to support Fever in a future release of Mishra (all the algorithm and API requests are in place to interact with a Fever server, this is a full support with all the features of Fever).

You can find the source code of my project at this place : https://feverrssreader.codeplex.com

Thanks in advance for the interest you will give to my request !